Monday, August 29, 2011

Kale Chips

I haven’t made a blog entry because, as most of you know, my husband was in the hospital recovering from surgery. Except for sleeping, I have spent the past week at the hospital. He is home now, doing well and recuperating quite nicely.

The day before the surgery was our last day on the juice fast. We weighed ourselves the next morning and I was down a total of 10 pounds and my husband was down 13 pounds. We were both aware that once we started eating more solids that we would put some of that back on. The thrill of having ankles that weren’t swollen really motivated me to eat healthier and I am proud to announce that I have stuck with it.

While my husband was in the hospital, I brought most of my food. At this point, and certainly not consciously, I started eating raw. This was and is not in the plan, but when you try to eat whole foods it ends up being mostly raw. Once I started eating solids again – even fruits and veggies – I did put back on 2 pounds. But as of today, those two pounds are gone again (+1 more!!). I must FINALLY be doing something right.

The greatest reward I gained from the juice fast is a true desire to eat more fruits and vegetables. In addition, my goal is to eat a rainbow of food to enjoy all the nutrients each color offers. I have been told to do that for years and I just don’t understand why I had to be 56 years old before I smartened up.

While in the hospital, my husband was on a mission to get home. Every couple hours he walked six laps around the 7th floor, dragging his leash (chest tube) with him. I walked with him every time and eventually he was walking so fast that it was challenging to keep up with him. The nurses loved watching us go by and they constantly made comments and smiled. They were so proud of us and so was I. Today, our first day back home, we walked outside for 35 minutes and he dragged me J up a steep hill. I love walking with him – we talk and visit and really connect. Who would have thought that exercise could bring a couple closer together?

I want to share a recipe that was from the juice fast. It was during the last five-day period when we started eating solids again. It is for kale chips, and let me tell you THEY ARE DELICIOUS. I hate, hate, hate kale so I usually have to hide it in smoothies and juices. But loving kale chips was a total shock to me and I challenge all my readers to try them.

  • · We use organic kale. Wash and dry it.
  • · Cut the center stem out and discard it.
  • · Cut or tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces
  • Place the leaves on a non-stick cookie sheet or on parchment paper over a regular cookie sheet. Try to spread them out as best you can.
  • · Spray with olive oil (I use Pam olive oil spray)
  • · Sprinkle with salt (I use sea salt – the best for you.)
  • · Bake at 350 degrees for 10-13 minutes, depending on your oven
  • · They are done when they are crisp to the touch (kind of like a dried up leaf you find on the ground)
  • · Eat when warm for the best flavor. I have been told you can store them in a glass jar.
  • · Check your teeth afterwards. They tend to leave little traces. :-)

4 comments:

  1. I'm still not sure I could do a plant based diet, but if you ever want to give up the world of finance, you have a calling in the food presentation and photography world!

    Every picture on your blog looks unbelievable and makes me me want to try the recipe just because it looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joan!
    I am Jo's sister-in-law, and newly interested in adding way more fruits and veggies to my eating (have existed on Taco Bell lunches and meaty-cheesey-gooey-ooey dinners for too long.) Just tried the kale chips this evening - delicious!!!!! I was skeptical while washing and drying the kale, but by the time they came out of the oven, I was sold. Yum! They are salty and munchable like popcorn, with a fun lacy texture. I will definitely make them again! Thanks for sharing.
    Sandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandy, I am so happy to hear you really liked the kale chips! Good luck with your journey for a healthier diet! I look forward to meeting you some time. Joan

    ReplyDelete